College students accused of turning popular beach town into booze-soaked free-for-all in takeover chaos
Police say crowds fueled by underage drinking and illegal drug use prompted a heavy police presence Tuesday
Cities across US rocked by teen takeovers ahead of Memorial Day
Fox News senior correspondent Eric Shawn details recent incidents in Long Branch, New Jersey, and Narragansett, Rhode Island, where crowds of young people engaged in destructive behavior, overwhelming local police and leading to multiple arrests.
Four college students are facing charges after police say they organized a series of rowdy "takeover" events in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.
The Rehoboth Beach Police Department confirmed that crowds took over the beach and boardwalk on Tuesday after an ad for the unauthorized "takeover" started circulating online.
Allegedly fueled by underage drinking and illegal drug use, the takeover prompted a heavy police presence with officers making a few arrests.

Keyon Scott, 22, of Dover, Delaware, is accused of organizing a beach takeover. (Rehoboth Beach Police Department)
SPRING BREAK HOT SPOT DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY, CURFEW AFTER ROWDY TAKEOVERS SPARK MASS ARRESTS
Delaware State University Students 19-year-old Xander Nicholl, 21-year-old Angelin Clauvil, 21-year-old Eric Barnett and 22-year-old Keyon Scott are all facing charges relating to facilitating a riot, as well as conspiracy in the second degree.

People pack the beach at Rehoboth Beach in Delaware. (AP Photo/Mingson Lau)
"The University is aware of the matter involving individuals identified by the Rehoboth Beach Police Department," a spokesperson at Delaware State University said in a statement to Fox News Digital. "As this is an active law enforcement matter unrelated to University operations, we will refer all questions to the Rehoboth Beach Police Department and decline further comment at this time."
In a statement posted on social media, the police department said, "With minimal advance notice, an increased officer presence was on scene for the early hours. As the event grew, additional resources from the area."
The agency went on to say, "Police responded to growing concerns over the safety of people and property."

Angelin Clauvil, 21, of Milford, Delaware, is accused of starting a beach takeover. (Rehoboth Beach Police Department)
Police said this is not the first time the group has promoted takeover events in Rehoboth Beach, which is a popular destination less than 150 miles from Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.
The popular beach resort town has seen four prior unlawful gatherings of this type since April.
"At this time, there is no known danger to the public and we will continue to monitor future events to ensure the safety of our residents, visitors, business owners, employees, and their property," Rehoboth Beach Police Dept. Lt. Mark Sweet said in a statement sent to Fox News Digital. "We will take the necessary actions to keep the peace and good order of the City of Rehoboth Beach so that all may enjoy everything the City has to offer."

Xander Nicholl, 19, of Philadelphia, Pennslvania, was arrested for organizing a beach takeover. (Rehoboth Beach Police Department)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
As it stands, three suspects have so far turned themselves in with one still at large. Clauvil, Nicholl, and Scott were arraigned and released on their own recognizance, with Barnett still at large. Police say there is no active search for Barnett at this time.
In a statement sent to Fox News Digital, Rehoboth Beach City Manager Taylour Tedder said:
"While the Rehoboth Beach Police Department is handling all details and inquiries regarding Tuesday's takeover, I want to commend them for their professionalism and strong response. We are extremely proud of our police department and grateful for their ongoing commitment to keeping Rehoboth Beach safe – not just on Tuesday, but every day. The department recently earned its state accreditation, continues to demonstrate exceptional leadership and staffing, and now has a new group of trained seasonal officers. Rehoboth Beach is safe and open for business this Memorial Day Weekend and throughout the year."
Support Everyday Chronicle
Global reporting requires independent voices. If you value our coverage, please consider a small contribution to help us grow.
​Click the button below to make a secure donation
Discover more from Everyday Chronicle
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Have any thoughts?
Share your reaction or leave a quick response — we’d love to hear what you think!
Video